Making simple lifestyle changes can help alleviate symptoms of RLS
- Try baths and massages for Restless Legs Syndrome Home Remedies . Soaking in a warm bath and massaging your legs can relax your muscles. Epson Salts Soaks go way back as one of the bestRestless Legs Syndrome Home Remedies.
- Apply warm or cool packs. Use of heat or cold, or alternating use of the two, may lessen your limb sensations.
- Establish good sleep hygiene. Fatigue tends to worsen symptoms of RLS/WED, so it’s important that you practice good sleep hygiene. Ideally, have a cool, quiet, comfortable sleeping environment; go to bed and rise at the same time daily; and get adequate sleep.
- Exercise. Getting moderate, regular exercise may relieve symptoms of RLS/WED, but overdoing it or working out too late in the day may intensify symptoms.
- Avoid caffeine. Sometimes cutting back on caffeine may help restless legs. Try to avoid caffeine-containing products, including chocolate and caffeinated beverages, such as coffee, tea and soft drinks, for a few weeks to see if this helps.
Can Restless Legs Syndrome Develop Into Something More Serious?
Most people with restless legs syndrome have the “idiopathic” form, meaning there’s no known cause. For them, there is no risk of RLS developing into something more serious, like Parkinson’s disease.
Restless legs syndrome can get worse in people with other medical conditions if they don’t get those conditions treated.
Can RLS disappear on its own?
There have been some cases there restless legs syndrome has gone away by itself; however, these cases are extremely rare. its own. For most sufferers it is more common that their symptoms worsen as time passes.
For those experiencing RLS symptoms caused by an underlying physical condition, The primary area of treatment should focus on the pre-existing condition. This is the most likely way to successfully improve their RLS.
Are There Treatments for Restless Legs Syndrome?
Your doctor will recommend you medication if you show some symptoms of RLS or if you are suffering from it for 3 three days a week.
Always remember that medications are only for those patients who have a mild RLS, if your condition is serious them this may not be the best treatment for you.
Here are some of the most used medication for mild RLS, your doctor may also recommend you this, make sure to take them daily and tell your doctor if you see any changes:
1. Medications To Increase Amount Of Dopamine In The Brain
These medications include:
Dopamine is an important hormone to the human body, it plays important role in body function and muscle movements.
It has been found that low amount of dopamine can interfere with muscle movements and mental health problems which is the reason you feel disturbance in your legs when you sleep.
However, there are some side effects of these medicines some of them include:
• Daytime sleepiness
2. Anti-Seizure Drugs
Anti-seizures are gaining a lot of popularity nowadays and its given to those people who face pain with their RLS symptoms.
The reason they are gaining popularity is because they can be used as dopamine increasers as well!
Gabapentin enacarbil and pregabali are two drugs that show really promising results!
Additionally it has been found that they can give you quality sleep with less amount of side effects.
However there is a dangerous side effect of these drugs which is breath in difficulties.
This can be a big problem to people with asthma, people with lung diseases and elderly people.
There are some more minor side effects too which include dizziness, sleepiness and fatigue.
You should take these medicines as advised by your doctor and inform them if you see any changes!
For more information, talk to our Drs. at the Advanced Vein Center. A Doppler exam can reveal any underlying venous causes that can be treated.